Friday, October 17, 2008

4 Weeks + 1 Breakdown

Today marks a big milestone. It has been 4 weeks since Addison was born. It is so hard to believe as time is funny and feels fast and slow all at once. At this point we have changed over 300 diapers and I have nursed Addison over 250 times. Wow. Again, wow. These numbers seem crazy but they are real. (8-10 diapers per day, 9-12 nursing times per day, multipled by 28 days) No wonder you forget that you didn't always know how to do this.

As for the 1 breakdown mentioned above, Addison marked her 4 week birthday by having a pretty tough day. She was very awake and cranky almost all morning and gave me just long enough to shower for a lunch we had planned with Heather and Christine in Burlington. We made it to lunch and she was good (mainly sleeping) the whole time and it was so great to see both Heather and Christine. I left lunch and thought our afternoon was headed in the right direction. Once we got home, I nursed Addison and she immediately became inconsolable once again. No amount of bouncing, rocking, swinging, swaddling, etc was really giving her comfort beyond a few minutes. For the first time since she came home, I was feeling really overwhelmed and frustrated that I could not figure out what was making her so unhappy. So I did the helpful thing and for the first time since she was born, I lost it. Scott came into the living room and found both Addison and I sobbing. I think it was safe to say he was surprised.

4 weeks and 1 breakdown....I'd say we're doing pretty good.

No comments: