Sunday, December 14, 2008

Earn Your Turns

Daddy (under all that gear) & AddisonIn the world of skiing and snowboarding there is the phrase 'earn your turns'. It essentially refers to individuals who elect to forgoe traditional lift service/ski resort experiences for backcountry hiking that ends with skiing/snowboarding. Hence the term 'earn your turns' as the later group typically hikes for some rather lengthy periods just for a little vertical.

What does this have to do with Scott and I? Today we created a new definition for the phrase by having our first visit to Stowe for snowboarding with Addison in tow. It was a typical start for us...me stressed out about how this would all come together and Scott blissfully positive and eager to head for the hill. There was a lot of coordinating to getting all of us, our snowboarding gear and Addison's gear together. I felt like we were earning our turns before we even left the house! However, I am very happy to report that it was also a typical end for us in that Scott was right. Addison was a great first time lodge dweller and Scott and I both enjoyed having our first turns of the season.
By the end of the day, Addison had seen so many new things and met so many new people (strangers in ski lodges surprisingly LOVE seeing babies there) that she was zonked. Don't worry though, we'll have her on the hill soon enough!


No comments: