Sunday, July 19, 2009

God Bless Addison

It was clearly not your average Sunday in the Murray household. Today was Addison's baptism. When I was pregnant Scott and I knew we wanted to baptize our baby and we discussed on more than one occasion how, when and where it would happen. It has taken a little longer than I planned (so much for a spring christening) but we still ended up where we wanted to be.

I was proud of our daughter today watching her go through the traditions of the church I grew up in (figuratively). Addison's baptism was part of the regular 10:30am mass at St. Pius X in Essex Junction. There were both funny (very visibly swatting away the priest's hand while blessing her head) and touching moments in the ceremony but my favorite was when the priest completed her baptism, took her from Scott and held her up in front of the entire congregation and announced her to the church. At that moment I was beaming and when I looked at Scott he was reflecting my same joy.

Pre baptism (Mommy & Addison)


How sweet is she?
Outside St Pius X in Essex Junction. (Scott, Jill & Addison)
Post baptism (Scott, Jill, Addison, Grammie B, Aunt Amy)
One special piece of our day was Addison's bonnet. It was made by Marie, my dear friend Danielle's mother. Danielle and I were pregnant during the same time and her mother sent this bonnet to me right before Addison was born. The bonnet was to be worn during her christening and then you remove the stitching on the back seam and the bonnet turns into a hankie that Addison can carry on her wedding day. I was so touched by Marie's thoughtfulness and I was happy to finally have Addison wear her beautiful gift. A million thank yous.

After the baptism we celebrated with a bbq at our house. We had almost all of my family over and everyone enjoyed a great afternoon filled with good food and great family. I am so happy that we have now passed this milestone event.
(Sorry, no pics from inside the church yet as we were pretty occupied the whole time. Maybe my family will have some I can share later.)

No comments: